Herbs are considered to be one of the most effective and natural ways in effectively treating both type 1 as well as type 2 diabetes. If you are not into medication, herbs are the best alternative treatment for diabetes. The herbs mentioned in this post have medicinal properties which help in maintaining a stable level of blood glucose in diabetic patients.
Let us look into the following 15 herbs which really help in the treatment of diabetes:
Table of Contents [show]
There are several types of research going on to prove that the rich antioxidants present in the popular spice go a long way in helping to lower blood glucose in diabetic patients along with reducing bad cholesterol, triglycerides, and lipid count.
Here is how to use it for treating diabetes:
- You can use the cinnamon sticks for cooking and the cinnamon powder can be used as a direct replacement for sugar in various vegetables and dishes. Besides, you find a number of cinnamon supplements in the market and the same can be used on a daily basis. Research has shown that taking 500mg of cinnamon supplement per day improves the much-needed A1c levels of a diabetic patient.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is known to have several health benefits for diabetic patients. Regular consumption of this herb by diabetics can help decrease the total lipid count, smoothening of the digestive system, while also reducing other diabetes related complications.
- In order to ensure the smooth flow of insulin, doctors advise taking the juice of the plant twice a day. Taking Aloe Vera juice regularly in this manner will not only stabilize the blood glucose levels but all the blood vessels which get damaged due to the onset of diabetes and other reasons shall be restored as well.
- The juice when consumed regularly, also helps in the blood getting more and more of oxygen. This goes a long way in promoting the sound health of the diabetes patients.
- Diabetes is known to cause a number of heart-related problems in the patients as well. Taking about 30 milliliters of the juice twice a day promotes heart health of the patient. The glucomannan present in the herb helps to maintain the required level of triglycerides and thereby promoting heart health in the patient.
- Aloe Vera has inflammatory properties and as such, the gel from the plant could be applied in diabetes related boils and scars. The cuts and other wounds which diabetes patients get can also be healed quickly by applying such gel.
3. Bitter Melon
This popular vegetable has long been known to be a very useful herb. The vegetable is known to contain various compounds that can help type 2 diabetes patients by lowering the blood glucose. Also, one of the compounds can have the same effect on the patient as the hormone insulin, thereby helping to fight complications.
- Juice of the plant is used widely in order to get several health benefits. The juice from the herb is usually mixed with lemon and ginger before the same is drunk. The best time to drink the juice is early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Bitter Melon makes for a great vegetable choice. After having removed the seeds of the plant, the same can be boiled or roasted and had in the form of the vegetable. A few people avoid it due to the bitter taste of the plant. In such a scenario, blanch the vegetable in boiling water for a few minutes and then soak the same properly. The vegetable can now be cooked.
- For diabetes treatment, around 3-4 cups of Bitter Melon tea have also been recommended.
- The herb is also available in the form of a capsule and you can incorporate the same in your everyday diet for best results.
However, it is necessary to note here that the herb may not be healthy for pregnant women and as such if you have diabetes and are pregnant avoid taking Bitter Melon unless your doctor asks you to resume the same.
Most of the times people suffering from diabetes ask the question “Can ginger help to control diabetes?” Well, ginger is known to offer several health benefits to diabetic patients such as improvement in the insulin secretion, low glycemic index, adecrease in the level of blood glucose, etc. amongst a host of other benefits.
The herb can be used in several ways to get the desired benefits:
- The most common way to use ginger is to include it in the preparation of various vegetables, meats, soups, amongst a host of other preparations.
- Ginger tea is also a very effective way of including the plant in the daily diet.
- There is ginger pickle available in the market which will help you include the herb in your daily diet.
It is known that soaking fenugreek or Methi seeds overnight and eating the same early morning on an empty stomach gives you several health benefits. Methi seeds are considered to be a rich source of various vitamins and minerals which go a long way in decreasing the blood glucose, triglycerides, and bad cholesterol from the body of the diabetic patient. This, in turn, goes a long way in reducing a host of diabetes related complications.
There are various ways of including Fenugreek in your daily diet:
- The best way to use it is to soak it overnight and have the same early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- You can use the seeds in salads, curries, and other dishes. All you need to do is dry roast the same in a pan for a few minutes.
- Besides, you can soak the Fenugreek seeds overnight and sprout the same. This can now be used in salads.
- Fenugreek is also easily available in the form of leaves which can be used in a lot of Indian preparations such as paneer dishes, dosa, and others.
- Besides, you can also make tea containing fenugreek seeds, lemon, as well as honey and derive health benefits from the herb.
- Finally, you can also eat a couple of spoons of fenugreek seeds in powdered form with milk on a daily basis if you are a diabetic patient.
6. Bilberry Extract
It is known to improve the circulation of blood, smoothen the digestive tract, decrease the elevated levels of blood glucose in diabetic patients. The health benefits of the herb come from the presence of a compound called anthocyanosides.
- The most traditional way of using the herb is to soak a few bilberry leaves in water and let the same simmer for about half an hour to 45 minutes. The water is then used for drinking.
- The herb is also available in the form of a tablet. The recommended dosage is somewhere around 80 to 160 mg and should be taken three times in a day for best results.
- Besides, Bilberry can be eaten in the form of a fruit as well.
Coconut is known to have a slow effect on the blood glucose levels of the diabetes patients. Coconut can be used in several forms and if had in moderation, coconut can play a great role in combatting diabetes.
Coconut is another plant which can be used in a number of ways to help in the treatment of diabetes:
- If used in moderation, coconut oil can be highly beneficial in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. The oil can be used in cooking as a replacement for vegetable oil, mustard oil, etc. because of the health benefits it provides.
- Coconut water is another form in which the plant can be used. In fact, coconut water is completely natural without any added supplements and flavors. As per experts, the recommended quantity is somewhere around 250 milliliters of water twice a day.
Okra or the lady’s finger as it is popularly called carry several benefits for a diabetic patient. It helps the patient to feel less tired and also helps in shedding all the extra weight. Besides, it also improves the body’s sensitivity to insulin which is very helpful in the treatment of diabetes.
- Okra can be included in the diet of a diabetic person in the form of vegetables and curries. Okra benefits by lowering the blood glucose or blood sugar levels in diabetes patients.
- Another thing which you can do is cut the ends of the vegetable and prick around it in various areas. Soak the same in a glass of water overnight and in the morning the water is to be had in an empty stomach. Drinking it daily has numerous health benefits.
One important piece of advice is that if you are already taking Metformin in order to control the effects of diabetes, drinking okra water may be harmful to you. Do not use okra water in such a scenario unless otherwise advised by an expert!
The very popularity of this herb can be understood from the fact that it is strongly recommended by the doctors as a safe replacement for the medicine, metformin. It helps in stabilizing the blood glucose levels of our body although high amount of sage should not be taken along with diabetes medications as that could lead to the blood glucose becoming too low.
- Sage tea has long been used to improve the body’s action towards insulin. You can do so by pouring a couple of grams of dried sage in one cup of water. You should not drink more than 3 cups of this tea per day.
- Besides, the herb is also available in the form of a capsule.
- You can also get a toothpaste which contains sage in order to ensure that you are regular in your consumption of the herb.
- There is Sage oil which is today easily found in the market.
- It is also used in its fresh or dried form.
Garlic is another herb which is highly recommended for combatting several health problems including diabetes. The herb goes a long way in reducing serum glucose, bad cholesterol, as well as uric acid.
There are several ways in which garlic can be included in the daily diet of a diabetic patient:
- One of the easiest ways to consume garlic is to use it in your day to day preparations of various curries, salads, etc.
- The herb is also found in the form of pickles.
- Garlic oil is another way of using the herb for treating various diabetes related complications.
- You can also consume not more than 1.2 grams of garlic powder per day for the effective treatment of diabetes.
11. Curry Leaves
The presence of phytochemicals in curry leaves goes a long way in helping to maintain the required levels of blood glucose in the body of a person suffering from diabetes. It is particularly very useful for treating type 2 diabetes.
- The best and the most effective way is to simply chew a few leaves early in the morning. Continuing this treatment for around four to five months will help to reduce the levels of cholesterol as well as obesity which are two important factors in controlling diabetes.
- Besides, curry leaves are used in a number of curries and vegetables, particularly in south-Indian dishes and in the making of various condiments.
This easily found Indian spice has more benefits than you must have thought of. The spice has anti-inflammatory properties and also is a rich source of antioxidants. It reduces the plasma glucose levels as well as improves the lipid profile of the diabetic patient.
- Turmeric is a popular spice and can be used in food.
- Turmeric can also be used in milk. Just add a pinch of the spice in hot milk and drink it.
- Turmeric tea is also a very popular way in which diabetes patients can include the herb in the daily diet. You can also add cinnamon in the tea for more flavors and get benefits.
- Besides, the spice is also available in the form of capsules, powder, oil, as well as arhizome.
This herb has long been considered to be a very good source of antioxidants which protect the heart, liver, as well as our eyes.
- Clove is present in the form of a pill or capsule and taking it regularly will help manage diabetes.
- Clove can also be used in the form of oil.
- The famous herb is used in a lot of curries and food.
The herb is known to aid the process of weight loss. Besides, the herb is known to reduce the increased levels of blood glucose, triglycerides, thereby promoting diabetes health management.
- Rosemary is a popular herb used in the cooking of meats, stews, or other curries and vegetables.
- The herb can also be used as a dipping oil and then be used in cooking.
- Besides, Rosemary can be dried and then used in a cup of hot water and drank as a tea regularly.
15. Jamun Extract
Another question frequently asked is “can Jamun extract help to control sugar level?” Well, the answer is yes. Jamun extract has long been known for the rich nutritive value and also for the phytochemicals present within. This, in turn, helps to fight against diabetes.
- You can take a few leaves of this plant and wash them. You should now chew these leaves in the morning daily for the effective treatment of diabetes.
- You can also eat the fruit daily to get the best benefits.
- You can also use the fruit, de-seed it, and make juice out of it. Post that you can add some honey and drink it.
- Besides, you can also take the powder of the fruit and add it in a glass of water. Drink this mixture every day in the morning on an empty stomach.
Are Natural Remedies Safe and Effective for Treating Type 1 & 2 Diabetes?
There have been several types of research conducted in the past which have strong evidence to prove that herbs do play a great role in reducing blood glucose levels and therefore diabetes. Having said that, not everything is beneficial to everyone and hence one should take an expert advice before settling in for a particular herb type to manage diabetes. There can be a few adverse effects of taking herbs particularly if you are already taking medicines and as such, you need to be careful with the same.
Hence, herbs can be a useful treatment for diabetes treatment if your doctor so prescribes.!!
Post courtesy of diabetesselfcaring