Gluten Free Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
Dr. Amy Myers:
If you are craving flavor, this AIP-approved take on traditional stroganoff definitely does the trick!
You can cook a whole chicken if you are feeling ambitious, but you can use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store to save time.
Also, this recipe can get you started on meal prep for the week – only half the chicken is used! Take advantage of the leftovers for other recipes throughout the week and the bones for making your own bone broth!
Servings: 4 Cook Time: 20 minutes (with pre-cooked chicken)
- 1 (4.5 lb) whole chicken or 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, plain coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: Serve with zucchini noodles or butternut squash/sweet potato noodles or cauliflower mash
- If cooking chicken from scratch, prepare whole chicken.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove meat from 1 breast and 1 thigh and shred.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sautée for 1 minute or until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add arrowroot starch to pan and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add in 1 cup of bone broth and let simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Add in chicken, coconut yogurt, and seasonings. Serve as is or with veggie noodles.