Home safety is a topic we want to keep as a priority in communicating with our clients. It can be easy to own a home and neglect safety items and maintenance when life gets busy. One of the most important home safety factors is to ensure installation and maintenance of carbon monoxide detectors.
Did you know carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless? It is produced by burning fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, lanterns, stoves, furnaces, and more. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include headache, dizziness, chest pain, confusion, vomiting, or weakness. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide could also cause a person to pass out, or even death (https://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm).
With the difficulty in noticing it and the extreme consequences, it’s easy to see the need for working and efficient carbon monoxide detectors. In fact, since 2009 Colorado law has required homes sold, remodeled, repaired, or leased to a new tenant to have carbon monoxide detectors within 15 feet of any room that is called a bedroom. It applies to homes heated with fossil fuel, with a fuel-fired appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage (https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/HHW_CSA_FAQ-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm%20Law-Colorado-House-Bill-1091.pdf).
However, if you bought your home prior to this law’s effect, be sure to inspect your home and install carbon monoxide detectors. It’s not worth risking the safety of you or your loved ones. Additionally, proper routine maintenance is crucial. The CDC recommends several tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. Check or replace batteries two times per year, and be sure you place the detector in a location you will hear the beeping. The CDC also recommends changing carbon monoxide detectors every five years. Take a look at the CDC website for further tips: https://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm