OVER 100 YEARS OF CYCLING IN DURANGO
The First Iron Horse
In 1972 a group of 36 riders decided to celebrate the first run of the train in the spring by accepting the challenge. It’s been all up hill since then. In 41 years the Iron Horse has become one of the classic bicycle events in the West. Durango is centrally located between Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and Salt Lake City. The Iron Horse is an ideal early summer meeting of the riders from each of these cycling centers as they attempt to bring home the glory to their own communities. In recent years the participants have come from every state and many foreign countries to ride the famed Iron Horse course. Each year hundreds of riders will feel the thrill of descending into Silverton and looking to see if the train has arrived. And familiar faces will be there, as many people come back year after year to the “best race we have around.”
Growth of the Iron Horse
Over the years several events have been added to the classic train race. There have been criteriums, circuit races, road races, tours, BMX races, Trials, dual slaloms, team trail rides, and mountain bike races. There has been a full weekend of events every Memorial Day for the past 41 years. In 2011 the IHBC had over 3500 participants in 5 events. Not bad for a town of only 16,000 people nestled in the mountains of Southwest Colorado!
Historical & Event information courtesy of http://www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com
Friday May 25, 2018
- Final Packet Pickup Buckley Park (3pm-7pm)
- Narrow Horse Swim – https://www.teamunify.com/
- Steamworks Faceplant Party: Beer, live music, vendors and bike parade. At Buckley Park 3-8pm
- Iron BMX
Saturday May 26, 2018
- Durango Coca-Cola Road Race (7:30am)
- McDonald’s Citizens Tour to Silverton (8am)
- Quarter Horse to Purgatory (8:15am)
- MBS King/Queen of Mountain (Road & MTB Omnium)
- Bike Pickup Durango High School (3pm-7pm)
- Silverton Finish Line Festival: Beer garden, food, vendors and racing. Memorial Park 9am-1pm. Come out and support Silverton’s non profits.
Sunday May 27, 2018
- La Strada La Plata Gravel Ride (9 AM Start)
- Morehart Murphy Subaru MTB Race (11 AM – 4 PM / Category times vary)
- Sprite Kids Race & Alpine Kids Village (Registration 8am)
Alpine Bank Kids Village – 9am-2pm
- BP BMX Straight Rhythm (1PM – 4PM)
- Durango Cyclery Cruiser Crit (5 PM)
- Durango downtown bike festival: kids festival with fun activities, live music, vendors and racing. Copper mug specials around town..
More About the Iron Horse Classic from The Durango Team
Memorial Day weekend is upon us! It’s the unofficial kickoff to Durango’s summer season, and also the weekend locals welcome the 47th Annual Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. It’s a weekend filled with tradition, challenges, and lots of events for all ages.
There’s the Durango Coca-Cola Road Race, which is 47 miles and 6,700 feet of total climbing, and the McDonald’s Citizen Tour from Durango to Silverton. This one is 50 miles, and takes off with the train. It crosses two 10,000-foot mountain passes! This is one amazing challenge, and it’s a blast to cheer the riders on as they descend in Silverton.
The race started as a challenge between man and machine, when one brother challenged the other to beat the train (by bike) to Silverton. In 1972, 36 riders took the challenge on the train’s first run of the season. Since then, the weekend has become a local tradition.
Now, there are other events. There’s the Quarter Horse to Purgatory, which is a 25-mile race that finishes at the Resort. There’s also the BMX Straight Rhythm, a BMX course on Main Street Durango, and for families there’s the Sprite Kids Race. This unique event is for kids ages 3-10, and offers various course lengths. There’s also a Kids Village with face painting, a bounce house, and strider park.
We love this annual event, and are so proud of the riders who accomplish this feat. Durango is a blast over Memorial Day Weekend, and if you’re looking for something to do, take in some of the Iron Horse events. Here’s the link to the website for details, locations, and times: https://www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com/index.php
Happy Memorial Day Weekend from The Durango Team. We hope you enjoy time together, our beautiful town, and remember those who have served our country.